Janet's Adventures

Friday, September 07, 2007

Welcome to the wonderful world of teaching...yikes

This week has been a whirlwind - I apologize for my lack of documenting, a lot of people have been asking me questions about my job search and I just have not had the time to respond, so, here's whats been going on. Last Thursday I had a job interview for a 16 day LTO at Davisville PS. I ended up landing the job immediately after answering their questions and was commissioned to spend the rest of the day learning about the class/school and to start setting up my classroom. The classroom was literally barren with furniture stacked on one side and boxes upon boxes of resources stacked on the other three. I spent all day Friday, along with the help of my mother, setting up the classroom. Over the weekend Jason and I joined a couple friends for a long weekend at this beautiful cottage just outside of Kingston. I spent all day Monday organizing myself for the upcoming week. Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Finally Friday have been soooooo busy and exhausting, I've been working 10-11 hours days at school with an additional few hours planning in the evenings. Everyone I speak to brushes it off as normal so I guess I'm a normal teacher, yay. My class is awesome, its an Oral Sign Support class which means my students are hard of hearing or deaf and either have cochlear implants or hearing aids and are basically learning to speak and hear. My ASL is improving drastically as all of the staff and most of the students sign while they speak. Its a great experience. After this LTO I will be doing some supply work at this school but I am also on the Occasional Teaching list for all of Toronto. Its going to be an unpredictable year :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home